Mar 30, 2009

A Peculiar Clinic

I was unlucky enough to have a backache and it lasted for the better part of a week so off I went to the clinic in ArguineguĂ­n (pronounced Arr-ginna-gin with hard Gs).

Anyway, I got there and there was a big sign saying it had moved. Not the building but the innards - you know, the doctors, nurses, machinary and stuff. So off I hobbled in search of the new clinic. In I went and there was a makeshift desk near the front door with rather a surly looking man sitting at it.

The Wait

I opened my mouth to speak and he pointed at the ticket machine. So I took a ticket and waited for about an hour until my number appeared. I went over to the man and said my back was sore and I wanted to see a doctor, which was when he rolled his eyes and told me I was in the wrong queue and I should be next door, waiting in there! Argh!



So I hobbled next door and had to take another ticket and wait in there until a random doctor became available. There was a child sitting opposite me with the measles or smallpox or something so I was trying not to breathe. Eventually I saw the doctor (I had to walk through the emergency room and a room full of drugs) and then he sent me, prescription in hand, back to the main waiting area (well, the second waiting area).

The Dwarf

I then stood about like an idiot, wanting to know where to get my medication. Finally, a vertically challenged nurse came in and told me to follow her. I've got nothing against dwarves but when I was taken to the room full of drugs I had to help myself to the ones she pointed at because she was only about 1 metre tall. The pills were all loose so I had to put them in a surgical glove (they had no plastic bags).

My trapped nerve managed to untrap itself in the end. But what a strange clinic!

No comments:

Post a Comment